Oven-Baked Apple Pancake

Happy Friday, everyone! I don’t know about you, but I am really looking forward to this weekend. Mostly because it’s supposed to be WARM. Like in the mid-70s to 80 degrees kind of warm. Right now it is 44. My hands are cold and I’m resentful. It’s not even mid-October yet, I should NOT NEED MITTENS!

Take a good look at that photo. I just inhaled two slices and am looking forward to more. Would you believe me if I told you that light and fluffy pancake above has zero eggs and no milk? I’ve made pancakes before with soy milk, but they’ve always had at least one egg. I wasn’t quite sure I could get the consistency and texture right without them. But after a couple tries, I think it’s perfect. Moist and delicious, airy and ADDICTIVE. And with apple season in full swing, another great way to enjoy them. Drizzled with some pure maple syrup it’s a heavenly way to fill your belly. Breakfast for dinner, anyone?

Yields 8 servings.

SODIUM CONTENT: 17.3 mg per serving

Nutrition Facts: Oven-Baked Apple Pancake

Batter:
2 c. diced apple
1 T. pure vanilla extract
1 T. Featherweight sodium free baking powder
1 c. flour
1/3 c. applesauce
1/3 c. pure maple syrup
3/4 c. non-dairy milk (I like vanilla almond milk)

Topping:
1 T. sugar
1/2 t. ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly coat an oven-safe skillet with vegetable oil (the spray kind works great here).

Measure all of the batter ingredients into a large mixing bowl and stir well to combine. Pour batter into the prepared skillet and smooth top to even.

Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle evenly over the batter.

Place pan on middle rack in oven and bake 25 minutes. Remove from oven. Carefully loosen pancake from pan using a spatula. Slice into sections and serve immediately.

This entry was posted in Breakfast, Vegan or Vegan Adaptable, Vegetarian. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Oven-Baked Apple Pancake

1. wow – these looks so tasty. What a unique idea!

Thanks Steve! I’ve gone vegan this week in honor of my dad. I wanted to showcase some recipes without meat/dairy/eggs – things that you’d think would be hard to recreate, but really weren’t. Hope you try & enjoy them. :)

3. Sandi says:

I just sooo pinned this picture! ‘Pure’ maple syrup, there really is a difference from the Aunt Jemima’s, right?

And almost 7g/serving of fiber is wonderful!

4. cherylK says:

Well, I just have to say that you are the answer to a prayer….am looking for something delicious to serve for breakfast to someone who is on a sodium restricted diet! Since I’m lactose intolerant, as well, this is perfect. If I use plain almond milk (which I usually have) would you up the vanilla to maybe 1 -1/2 teaspoons?

Hey Sandi – thanks! And I so agree; there is NO resemblance between maple syrup and colored corn syrup – none!

Cheryl, plain almond milk will work fine and I wouldn’t even bother upping the vanilla – a tablespoon should be more than enough. Hope you enjoy it! (I just had 2 more pieces. OINK)

6. Wow, that looks great! I am definitely going to try this. And I’m always on the lookout for breakfast-for-dinner ideas! Great pictures!

7. Dang, that is not what I expected to see from the title of this post. I actually saw this on my Google Reader daaaays ago, somehow failed to actually click on it, and kind of imagined a big, ol’ bready pancake in my mind. This looks like apple pie! Nice.

Hey Sam, thanks! You may end up making more than one or supplementing w/ other breakfast items. Or maybe your kids aren’t as piggy as we are! LOL

Katie, it was so yummy. Soft and fluffy and appleicious, esp. with syrup. Next time I’m breaking out the apple maple drizzle.. oh yes.

9. Lillian says:

I love these kinds of easy, low fat, healthy recipes!!! Great pics!!!

10. Mariko says:

Mmmmm. That looks so good. And no eggs! Awesome. I’m going to try it.

11. Linda says:

This is fantastic with those familiar fragrances of fall. We’re not vegan or vegetarian but we have more and more “conscious” meals so I’d love to try this. I just bought Almond Breeze and there are plenty of fresh apples around! Thanks Christy!

Thanks so much, Lillian!!

Mariko – hope you try – and love it!

Linda, I actually used almond breeze when making this. SO GOOD!!

13. Dawn says:

This looks so amazing. I have t try this one; no eggs, no salt, I had no idea they made a baking powder like that either. So glad I linked up with you.

14. Elena says:

Got a question about maple syrup. I ve been buying Aunt Jemina butter flavored syrup for years because its lower in sugar however I never really paid attention to the sodium count. Holy moley! I was shocked. Which maple syrup would any of you suggest that is not too expensive?

Thanks so much, Dawn!

Elena, I buy pure maple syrup from BJs – this week I got a quart for $12.49. The price does fluctuate, as with most produce and natural goods. Not sure whether we pay less living in New England than in other parts of the country. But I would recommend if you have a membership to a warehouse club to buy it there – whether BJs, Sams or Costco, it’s likely as cheap as you can find. I did compare prices to those at Whole Foods and I paid like $7 bucks less at BJs for a comparable product. Hope this helps!

16. Vennessa says:

These look delicious! Question: I see it has 15 g of protein, yet none of the ingredients listed contain a lot of protein. What makes up this 15grams? Also, I was wondering what makes this cake stick together?
    Thanks in advance :)

Hi Vennessa! Thanks so much for your questions. I went back and looked at the nutrition facts and you’re absolutely right – way too much protein for this recipe. I recalculated the info and have updated the recipe w the correct analysis. Hope that helps! The pancake sticks together because of the combination of dry and liquid ingredients – specifically the flour moistened w. the syrup, nondairy milk, and applesauce. The baking powder acts as leavening, and poof! Perfect pancake. :)