Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies

Today’s recipe is a moist take on the traditional ‘thumbprint’ cookie, made even better with the addition of salt free peanut butter! As originally written it calls for jam in the center of each cookie. PB & J cookies? Mmmm. But peanut butter goes well with so many things.. apple butter, mashed up banana, or (my personal favorite) NUTELLA. NOW we’re talking! Although these cookies may look and sound decadent, don’t be fooled. The only fat comes from the peanut butter itself, and the egg yolk has been eliminated altogether. They’re health food, through & through. And I’m sticking to that!

Adapted from the American Medical Association Healthy Heart Cookbook.

Yields about 2 dozen cookies.

SODIUM CONTENT: 9 mg per cookie

3/4 c. no-salt-added peanut butter, creamy or chunky
1/2 c. honey
1/2 c. nonfat vanilla yogurt
1 egg white
1 1/2 t. pure vanilla extract
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. oats
1/2 t. Featherweight sodium free baking powder (sold at Whole Foods markets and online)
1/4 c. filling of choice (jam, jelly, preserves, apple butter, mashed fruit, nutella, etc.)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Lightly grease two baking sheets with cooking spray and set aside.

Using a hand-held or stand mixer, combine the peanut butter, honey, yogurt, egg white and vanilla; beat on medium speed 3 minutes. Add the flours, oats and baking powder and stir until combined.

Drop cookies by 2-tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets and flatten slightly. Make a thumbprint in the center of each cookie and spoon 1/2 teaspoon filling into each.

Bake on middle rack in oven until cookies are just lightly brown on the edges, 12 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.

This entry was posted in Cookies and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies

1. If you could see the face I made as soon as I clicked over to this page and saw the picture . . .

Dangit, those look fine.

2. Country Wife says:

Yum!! I bought Nutella a few weeks ago, and while love it, didn’t know how to eat (except straight from the jar). The cookies are a perfect way to enjoy it!

3. i’ve never tried nutella…am i missing something good? these cookies look delish and i’m waiting for the postman to deliver a nice big box of them TODAY. get cooking, woman!!!

SHUCKS! I would have loved to see that picture… Perhaps next time you can get your phone ready before the click? Thank you in advance, Katie!

CW – I know you & the country man try to watch your sugar, so you should like these even more. No add’l refined sugar, just the honey, and the nutella add just the *right* touch. Very moist and super yummy.. You won’t feel guilty eating as many as you want. :)

Nat, you must must must try Nutella. It is amazing stuff, no scary anything (unless you are afraid of hazelnuts and I know you love nuts so NAH!) PS: If I could only get the time to bake cookies for you.. we’ve had company the past 4 days; these kids don’t know the meaning of quit.

5. susie says:

YUM! These sound perfect and I would definitely have to try them with nutella.

Hey Susie! Really hope you enjoy them (we sure did!)

7. kristy says:

Hi there, you’ve such a pretty blog here. Love your thumbprint cookies very much. Thanks for sharing.
    Kristy

8. These cookies looks delish. Buzzed it!

9. Eftychia says:

These cookies look delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe with us.

10. These look like something my mother used to make…
    or, she made as many as she could before I managed to eat half the peanut butter, anyway!

11. Nick says:

I would like one please =)

12. Pingback: Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies « Hungeree