Grandma’s Old-Fashioned Peanut Butter Fudge

Well, I hope you all have a nice comfy pair of elastic-waist pants, because after today’s recipe you’re going to need them. This rich homemade candy comes courtesy of my friend Tracie.  It was her grandmother’s *famous* recipe, sold at all the community events in her hometown.  If you know a peanut butter lover, this one is a MUST. With a taste and texture reminiscent of the filling in a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup, this fudge is rightfully famous.
Yields 64 pieces.

SODIUM CONTENT: 4 mg per piece

INGREDIENTS

2 c. sugar
1/2 c. evaporated milk
1 T. unsalted butter
3 T. light corn syrup
1 c. no-salt-added peanut butter

DIRECTIONS

Grease an 8- or 9-inch square baking pan. Measure out the peanut butter and set aside.

Mix sugar, milk, butter and corn syrup in a 3-quart saucepan.  Cook on high heat, stirring constantly, until it bubbles well, about 4 or 5 minutes.  Lower heat to medium, continue stirring constantly until mix is a little darker and thicker, approximately 5 minutes more.  Remove from heat.  Very gently stir the peanut butter into the hot mix, stirring only enough to combine thoroughly.  Pour mixture into the prepared pan. Let cool about 15 minutes before cutting into squares.  Let cool completely, before transferring to an airtight container for storage.  No need to refrigerate, but can be frozen for future use.  NOTE: RECIPE DOES NOT DOUBLE WELL!

This entry was posted in Candy, Christmas, Dessert, Gift ideas, Holiday ideas. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Grandma’s Old-Fashioned Peanut Butter Fudge

1. Tracie says:

Aw, Christy, my grandmother would have been tickled pink to see her recipe on a web site! Thanks, and I hope everyone enjoys this as much as my family does.

2. Tracie says:

I put a plug on my site for YOUR site, thought you’d like to know. Also, I found a pic of my grandma selling the fudge, so I put that on too.

3. Michelle says:

You should explain in the directions that you dont need to boil on high for 4-5 minutes and then reduce heat and boil an additional 5 minutes. Which is how I read the recipie. Unfortunately, I got ROCKS instead of fudge.

Michelle, If you follow the recipe exactly you will definitely get fudge, not rocks. While the fudge is cooking, you need to STIR IT CONSTANTLY. From your description, it sounds like you may have left the mixture boiling unattended. Even stepping away momentarily can have disastrous consequences.

5. Pingback: The Daily Dish » Blog Archive » Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge

6. priscilla says:

can you substitute the butter and peanutbutter for salted peanut butter and salted butter?

Hi Priscilla! Yes, definitely. If you don’t have a sodium restriction, absolutely no reason not to use them interchangeably. Hope you enjoy it!!

8. cathy says:

I find that if you leave it sitting on the counter to cool instead of putting it in the fridge you will not have the coarse fudge. I wanted to try a peanut butter fudge recipe, after a couple years making white fudge, chocolate fudge, m&m fudge, chocolate and white swirl fudge, but wanted to try peanut butter.
    Thanks this recipe was just as yummy as my regular fudge.

Wonderful tip, Cathy!! Thank you so much!!

10. Pingback: The Daily Dish » Blog Archive » Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Fudge

11. Serena says:

I followed the directions exactly and I got a consistency equal to that of dirt. Yummy dirt, but I was hoping for fudge. Any suggestions?

12. Melissa says:

I made it and it was AWESOME!!! This will be the only recipe I use now!!! I had to hide some ( for me) because my husband and two of my sons couldn’t quit eating it!!! LOL!!!

13. tracy says:

This recipe was the best will always use this one i have tried others but wasnt texture satisfied thank you R.I.P grandma

14. Theresa says:

hello! I was just wondering about what the yield is for this recipe…? I’m making chocolate peanut butter layered fudge, yum!!