Vanilla Cupcakes: Moist, Foolproof, and DELICIOUS!

Golden Cupcakes

My younger daughter has a way of roping me into stuff without me realizing what is happening. Like earlier this year, she made the suggestion that I sit and watch an episode of Cake Boss with her on Netflix. I’d never seen it before and didn’t really know what to expect, but a baker from Jersey sounded fine so I said sure. What I didn’t realize is that Cake Boss is the TV equivalent of crack, and that one episode would lead to another, and another, until we’d polished off not only the entire series, but swallowed a full two seasons of Next Great Baker too.

It was during this affair with Carlo’s Bakery that my daughter started asking me about baking, specifically about cake decorating. I told her about the training I’d had at Fante’s in Philly, leading up to entering my first (and only) competitive gingerbread contest. She begged to see all of my tools – the piping bags with their thimble-like tips, the vials of food dye, the turntable and spatulas, and only after I’d agreed to let her bake something did she stop fondling the lot. My only stipulation? Whatever she made had to be vegan. Because after umpteen episodes of Cake Boss I needed a FIX. Baaad.

11-24-13-1

My daughter was absolutely enchanted with her first solo-baked cake. And we were too! From its 100% original gray-green frosting with red, white, and yellow stripes to its moist, tender, and delicious crumb, it was a winner. But what struck me most about the cake was the cake itself. I know frosting always wins the prize, but the cake was really, really good. I quickly jotted down the recipe to the best of my recollection. But was it right?? In order to ensure it wasn’t some one-off fluke, my daughter decided to bake another cake. And then another. Three cakes in as many days is a cross to bear in the name of science, but we were willing to persevere!

This recipe is delicious and deliciously easy. If you have doubts about the tastiness of vegan cupcakes, then I double dog dare you to try these. You will be sold. These cupcakes have the same taste, texture, and rise of “regular,” but without the added fat, and with ZERO cholesterol. You won’t miss it! As written the recipe yields 12 cupcakes. If you’d prefer a layer cake, simply double the recipe, separate the batter into two oiled 8-9 inch pans, and bake for 37 minutes. So easy and SO DARN GOOD. Enjoy!

Yields 12 cupcakes

SODIUM CONTENT: 8 mg per cupcake

Nutrition Facts: Vanilla Cupcakes58.49 PM

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar
2 t. sodium-free baking powder
1 c. nondairy milk
6 T. canola oil
1 T. apple cider vinegar
1 T. pure vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-muffin tin with paper cups and set aside.

Measure the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk well to combine. Add the wet ingredients and stir until combined. Evenly divide the batter between the muffin cups.

Place tin on middle rack in oven and bake 18 minutes. Remove pan from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for a minute before removing cupcakes and placing directly on rack to cool. Cool fully before frosting. Store leftovers in an airtight container.

This entry was posted in Dessert and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Vanilla Cupcakes: Moist, Foolproof, and DELICIOUS!

1. Sandy says:

Hi Christy,
    They look yummy! What did you use for the frosting?

Hi Sandy! They were yummy!! :) For the frosting we whipped some non hydrogenated vegetable shortening with powdered sugar, a little soy milk, and vanilla extract. I don’t have the proportions on me now, but will be happy to give exact recipe when I’m back at my computer. We also made a very yummy chocolate cinnamon fudge frosting. I’d be more than happy to add that too if you’d like. Just let me know!

• Sandy says:

Yes please, recipes for both would be great! Thanks so much!

Hey Sandy! Here are the recipes I use for frosting. Feel free to adapt. :)

Cinnamon Fudge Frosting

2 c. powdered sugar
          1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa
          4-5 T. non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
          4 T. nondairy milk
          1 t. ground cinnamon
          1 t. vanilla extract

Measure ingredients into a mixing bowl and beat together until smooth. Add addition nondairy milk to thin mixture, if desired.

Vegan Vanilla Buttercream Frosting (my daughter Georgia’s recipe)

1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
          3 T. Earth Balance (or other nondairy) margarine
          1 T. non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
          1 T. vanilla extract
          2 1/2 T. nondairy milk

Measure ingredients into a mixing bowl and beat together until smooth. Add additional nondairy milk to thin frosting, if desired.

2. Thank you for this! I have wanted a good vegan cake recipe for a while now. :-)

3. Cheryl says:

I just made these cupcakes. They were so very easy and WONDERFUL!!! You would never ever guess they are any different than a cupcake loaded with everything like eggs, butter, salt, milk, ect. My husband loved them!! I used your Vanilla Buttercream icing recipe that was attached to a chocolate cake, make 1/2 of the recipe and frosted them lightly, they are so delicious you really do not need alot of frosting. Thank you so much!!

4. Kelly says:

I made them last night and maybe I just had one for breakfast. They are excellent. I made a vegan chocolate icing that I like to use for cakes. The frosting is light and so very good. Excellent addition to these wonderful cupcakes.

5. Amy says:

One of the best vanilla cupcake I’ve ever had! Thanks so much!