SODIUM FREE Bread Crumbs

In my recent post about Mrs. Dash Salt Free Seasonings, I mentioned adding the blends to unsalted bread crumbs for flavor and interest.  What I neglected to mention is another amazing product I’ve discovered.  365 Everyday Value Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs from Whole Foods Market.

At $2.49 for 15 oz., these whole wheat bread crumbs aren’t just healthy, they’re a great value.  And unlike other commercial brands I’ve found, they’re not just low in sodium – they’re SODIUM FREE!

When I first bought them I wondered whether the “wheat” flavor would be too strong. Short answer: NO! Long answer: Many products made from traditional red wheat flour often turn people off because of its somewhat bitter taste. These 365 Everyday Value bread crumbs are made from enriched WHITE whole wheat flour. Every bit as nutritious as its red counterpart, white whole wheat flour is milled from hard white spring wheat. Mild in flavor, delicious AND packed with heart healthy whole grain. WIN-WIN!

Kudos to Whole Foods for offering yet another great salt free product!! Many thanks & WOOHOO!

This entry was posted in From the Kitchen, Low sodium products and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to SODIUM FREE Bread Crumbs

1. Sounds great, Dishy!
    (It might be challenging to make such tiny sandwiches, though ;) )!

2. tracie says:

Huzzah! I love using bread crumbs but have to be careful – I usually use Progresso Italian style, but the sodium is 450 mg per 1/4 cup. I am stunned at the amount of sodium in absolutely everything. Thanks so much for your comment at my blog; the book you mentioned (and thanks so much for the link), sounds very similar to the one my cardiologist prescribed for me, by Dr. Dean Ornish, called Spectrum. It is also about reversing heart disease through diet, exercise, and “love in your life.” Very good book; I’m not too in to the yoga and meditation part, but I just substitute prayer, Scripture, and stretching! The diet parts are excellent. I cut out more meat all the time. And we aren’t missing it at all. I made some meatless spaghetti and we actually preferred it… lasagne is next. They are telling me to eat more eggs for protein, but I always thought eggs were verboten? What do you hear? (My cholesterol is only 143 total, so that isn’t a huge problem for me, but although my “bad” cholesterol is low, my “good” is also low, and the triglycerides are too high as of yet).

Christy, we’re getting a Whole Foods market within the next couple of months. It won’t be in my town, but it will be about 20 minutes away, right down the street from Trader Joe’s. I’m very excited, especially since you frequently mention some of the low sodium products Whole Foods carries. When I make my first shopping trip there, I’ll probably email you for a list of foods to look for.

We live in very exciting times when it comes to low sodium diets. There are so many more products becoming available all the time. And so many really good sources of information and inspiration. (In some ways I think the inspiration part is more important than the information.)

Always the joker, Inky!

Tracie, I know you can do it. The key is getting into a healthy routine that works for you and sticking to it. Now that my dad’s begun a vegan diet, I’ve been thinking about it more than ever. Meat isn’t hard for me to give up – it would be very difficult to go w/out eggs and dairy. And w/ regard to eggs — I have heard such mixed messages, esp. in the media. I would go w/ what your dr recommends and you yourself are comfortable with. If you crave an egg, eat one. I think our bodies know far better than we do, at least most of the time! ;)

Shambo, I am so happy you wrote this. It’s been in my thoughts so much lately, esp. since the post from Jess (Sodium Girl). Things have changed so much for the better in the past 7 years. Can you imagine how great it’ll be 7 years from now?! The mind boggles!

5. Marty says:

For all you bread crumb lovers (me too!), try using Panko. It’s very low sodium (40mg) per serving. The “crumbs” are bigger than normal bread crumbs, so it doesn’t get mushy.

Hey Marty, thanks so much for the comment. Panko are a great low-so breading alternative. Some supermarkets don’t stock salt free bread crumbs but may have panko. It’s become much more popular over the past several yrs (hooray!)

I’ve seen panko stocked w/ the regular bread crumbs, but sometimes in other locations – the Asian or “world food” section or sometimes w/ flour and flour mixes (like fish breading). Thanks again for the heads-up!

7. tracie says:

I just found Panko today and was wondering about it. Looks like a good alternative for sure.

8. HF says:

Oh! Didn’t know WF had these bread crumbs – thaks for the tip! I do like panko, but I also often use matzo meal as a bread crumb substitute – it also has 0mg of the bad stuff!

Tracie, it’s esp. good when you want extra crunch. Here are some great ideas for using panko:

HF – you are so right! Matzo meal and crushed matzo crackers are fabulous and sodium FREE. Sodium Girl created a recipe for a matzo crust that is absolutely amazing. I used it in a lemon mascarpone cheesecake here:

10. Asparagus rolled in breadcrumbs?! WHY HAS NO ONE EVER SERVED ME THAT?

11. Pingback: The Daily Dish » Blog Archive » Amazing Veggie Casserole with Tofu Topping

12. Pingback: Cassie Leah Photography