Warm Wishes for Health & Happiness in 2013!

Happy New Year, everyone! I sincerely hope you’ve been enjoying yourselves the past weeks, shopping, cooking, baking, gift wrapping, and generally making merry. I spent much of December fighting a severe respiratory plague which may or may not have been whooping cough, and, after days and nights spent hacking myself into near-oblivion, am FINALLY feeling normal again. It’s beyond great to be back among the living!

The sad news, apart from feeling like death warmed over for oh-so-long, was that I missed holding my beloved Daily Dish annual holiday bake-off, with its umpteen dozens of delicious cookies – many of which I’d normally pass on to friends and family along with our Christmas cards. Not only were zero cookies + zero cards produced this year, the one “holiday photo” my family managed for 2012 (as seen above) was less posed portrait than pure spontaneity. Oh well. That’s life. If Meniere’s has taught me nothing else, it’s to appreciate the good days and tolerate the rest with as much grace and patience as possible. I was exceedingly grateful to get a Christmas tree up this year, give and receive more gifts than any of us deserve, and enjoy a post-Christmas visit with my parents. As far as I’m concerned, our Christmas tree is staying up until February, just to make up for lost time. Good thing we positioned it as far away from the wood stove as possible.

I’ve had so many pots (posts) simmering on the back burner for so long, I hardly know where to begin… I’ll simply start with the most effervescent. The lovely Johanna from Low Sodium Blog will be featuring an Everything DASH Diet Cookbook FREE GIVEAWAY!! Next week! WOO! I have two low-sodium slow-cooker recipes, along with a fabulous low-so broth alternative I discovered weeks ago and am super eager to share. I’ve perfected perhaps the single most important cookie recipe known to western civilization — that’s right; CHEWY CHOCOLATE CHIP! — these lil’ babies look perfect and taste DIVINE, are low-sodium, vegan, and so honking good you won’t be able to contain yourself. Oh yessss. So until next week, I leave you with happy thoughts, warm wishes for a wonderful weekend, and many thanks for all of the comments, emails, and cards sent saying I MISS YOU. I’ve missed you too!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

This entry was posted in From the Kitchen. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Warm Wishes for Health & Happiness in 2013!

1. Tracy Quinlan says:

Welcome back amongst the living! I missed you! Can’t wait to see your newest recipes!

2. Katie T-M says:

I am new to your blog and recipes and want to THANK you (and want you to know that I noted your absence and was worried about you, though we know one another not at all). I have had Meniere’s for 1.5 years (likely longer, really, that’s when it was severe enough to lay me out for the first time) and December’s stresses (and fun) wreaked havoc on my body causing a pretty bad episode–thus, I am recommitting to low-sodium (and, honestly, now gluten free and mostly green) cooking, spending two weeks decaffeinating myself and, for now, eliminating wine (but I hope I can drink again :-)) . I stumbled upon your site while looking for resources and have thus far prepared several of your recipes. YUM. So nice to see you in my Facebook feed!

Hi Katie!! What a sweet and lovely comment! Thanks so much for taking the time to write. I’m so glad you found the site and truly hope it’s helping w/ the diet. PS: Thank you for worrying about me too! hah!

3. Ragnhild says:

Lovely to get a sign of life from you again – Happy New Year, and make sure to keep stress out at any cost. My Meniere’s is not as serious as yours, I think; on the other hand at my age (75) I suffer from arthritis/rheumatism and in the UK this year it is truly fearful. We have had (and are still having) the wettest year on record and the constant changes in pressure and high air humidity is really playing havoc with my joints. Some days I fully understand how people decide to stay in bed and be invalids for the rest of their lives, only I’d be bored stiff – and on good days I can still take on the world.

I love the informal photo of you and your lovely family – keep happy and enjoy life and each other! Love, R

I always love your comments, R – hope you’re getting a nice dry spell and those joints are getting a rest. The wet weather here often does a number on my ear (the barometric pressure sets me off badly) so I am hoping I get a respite too. Snow’s in the forecast for tomorrow, but so far, so good! HAPPY NEW YEAR, my friend!

4. So nice to see you, Dishy! And I’m so happy to hear you are feeling better (that respiratory thing sounds like it was all kinds of awful)! My very best to you and your family… I hope you have a very, very happy 2013!

5. One of my other friends had whooping cough this season! Which sounds like an 18th-Century disease to me. Which I guess is appropriate, considering your house. Glad you’re feeling better! And for what it’s worth, that family photo is 100 times better than anything planned.

Thanks babe! We are ALL about the spontaneity round here – hard not to be with birds flapping in and out of the picture, literally, at all times. Whopping cough does sound very old timey, thankfully I am back in the present & hopefully for the long haul!! Happy New Year! XO

6. Pingback: Slow-Cooker Minestrone Soup (Low Sodium + Vegan!) » The Daily Dish

7. Daniela Rivera says:

Hello my name is Daniela and my today 10 year old son was diagnosed with Meniere’s two years ago.
    His case was rare and pretty severe. Today he has been symptom free for one year and 7 months!!
    Many things had to change, low sodium diet was the first thing to be incorporated into our new life. After some research I found out that even though if wasn’t completely confirmed food allergies could operate as triggers for the vertigo attacks and some of the other symptoms. We conducted all the possible allergy tests and found out extreme allergies to many different foods. He is today in a very strict diet, sometimes boring but symptom free!!!.
    Betahistine dihydrochloride was the other answer for us. My son is not taking the medication any more and we are just controlling symptoms through diet and a healthy life stile, but when he was suffering vertigo attacks every day and was unable to move “Microser” helped tremendously.
    The medication is not sold in the US. It was sold until 1968 and then it was taken out of circulation. It is sold in the rest of the world and in some countries you can get it over the counter.
    As any medication it has side effects, but in relation to the symptoms of meniere the gain for us was significant. Afte being on the medication for a week or so my son’s symptoms started diminishing and after a month he was back to his normal life. I hope we don’t have to use it ever again, just because I don’t like medication in general, but knowing it is out there and can help is really good.
    I have experience the debilitating symptoms of meniere through my son and believe me when I say that I would give my ears to prevent him from experiencing the frightening and incapacitating vertigo. When we got the diagnose we were told that there was basically nothing to do unless we wanted to go the route of completely destroying the inner ear to cut the connection between endolymphatic sac and the 8th nerve avoiding in this way the vertigo attacks but also destroying hearing in the affected ear.
    Research showed us differently.
    I just wanted to share this experience, I don’t know for how long my son won’t have symptoms, but we now know that there are ways of keeping this condition in check and attempting to gain control back over our lives.
    With warm wishes.