Trader Joe’s Low Sodium Garden Patch !

Many of you know I’ve been slow cooking a lot lately, using V8 Low Sodium Vegetable Juice in lieu of broth. Last night I made the happy discovery that Trader Joe’s sells its own brand of low sodium vegetable juice, Garden Patch!

Not only is Garden Patch comparable to V8, it actually contains 5 mg LESS sodium per cup (135 mg vs. 140 mg).

A quick online search yielded the following consumer review pitting the two against each other:

V8 Low Sodium Vegetable Juice VS. Trader Joe’s Low Sodium Garden Patch

AND THE WINNER IS…..

In taste, the reviewer preferred the fresh lemon kick of Trader Joe’s Low-Sodium Garden Patch.

In terms of nutrition, V8 contains higher levels of Vitamins A, C, and iron than Garden Patch, but V8 also has more sugar and 300 mg more potassium.

Bottom line: Depending upon your needs, you may need to choose one over the other. Flavor? Nutrition? Hmmmmm…..

As for me, I already love the tomato-y richness of V8. But being a super fan of lemon, I must say I’m STOKED to try out the new guy. TJ’s Garden Patch! BRING IT ON!

Now.. I’m off to slow cook something. HAPPY WEEKEND, EVERYONE!

This entry was posted in Low sodium products and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Trader Joe’s Low Sodium Garden Patch !

Just as an aside:

Here in Maine, a 2-quart bottle of Garden Patch sells for $3.49. A good value in its own right, but even better when used as a substitute for commercial low-sodium vegetable broths, many of which sell for $2, $3, even $4 per quart.

V8 Low Sodium Vegetable Juice sells for $5.69 for 2-64 oz. bottles at BJs. An even better value in terms of price, but you do need an annual ($50) membership to shop there.

Decisions, decisions…….

2. Katrina says:

I recently discovered a delicious vegetable juice that beats those mentioned above: R.W. Knudsen Very Vegie. Sodium is only 35mg per 8 oz serving. There are two versions so be sure to get the low sodium one, but this is so yummy!

• Katrina says:

Of course, when I say “beats those mentioned”, I mean in terms of sodium levels. I do want to try the TJ juice since I’m a huge fan of lemon and add it to almost everything. Very Vegie is nice and tomatoey – a good blend of flavors imo.

3. Doreen Cambray says:

Very interested in low sodium products and especially connected recipes !! Is the ” dash ” cook book in stores or Amazon . Com? This is my valid E – mail address!

4. LeeAnn says:

March 8th was so long ago. Miss your posts.

Hi LeeAnn,

Yes, it WAS a very long time ago! Sorry for the lack of posting. I’ve been incredibly busy. Unfortunately when you run a free website, it often gets pushed to the back burner by life. Hope to post something new before too long.

Best to you!

5. Marty says:

I live in the Rochester, NY area. The major supermarket chain here is Wegmans. They sell a no salt veggie juice. It has a sodium content of 65mg per serving. I have to admit that it does not taste as good as R.W. Knudsen Very Vegie, but the Knudsen product costs about $3.99 whereas the Wegmans product costs about $2.49 for a larger size (from what I remember).

Great tip, Marty – thanks! I loved Wegman’s when we lived in Philly. They offer so many terrific low-sodium products at great prices, and their quality is excellent.

6. LeeAnn says:

Did you give up on the website, then?

Hi LeeAnn,

No, definitely have not given up on the website. I will post again. But I can’t devote hours to this site when it’s not paying any bills, including its own. Heck, I don’t even get royalties from the Everything DASH Diet Cookbook I wrote and that’s sold like hotcakes! The satisfaction of helping so many has kept me going this long (5+years) – and that is great, but it’s hard to justify the ongoing expense this website entails for my family and I in terms of time and money. I love The Daily Dish and I care about its readers, but I decided months ago it was going to have to take a backseat for the time being. I will post again. I’m still as busy creating recipes as ever. I have lots to share, when the time permits.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.