Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burritos

Monday.  It’s still raining here in Portland and my ear is driving me NUTS. But you know what? My house smells divine and I just wolfed down the most AMAZING burrito I’ve eaten in forever.  Life ain’t all bad.  Today’s recipe is adapted from one of my favorite cookbooks, Simply in Season.  It’s the perfect quick meal, from stove top to table in about 30 minutes.  The sweet potato and black beans are – for all their seeming incongruity, a match made in heaven.  The sauteed onion and fruit juice really bring out the sweetness of the pair, and when combined with the cumin, cinnamon and chili powder, it’s like – well.. it’s like a wedding party!  After everyone’s loosened up with some champagne and now they’re out on the dance floor.  You can’t tell the bride’s family from the groom’s – they’re all just one big mass of fun!  This incredible filling, tucked into the blanketing Lavash, dotted with spicy salsa and the bite of the cilantro & sour cream… OOOOooohh!!! It’s just SO GOOD!!  I picked up the Lavash wraps at Whole Foods here in Portland.  They look like this:

At only 40 mg of sodium per huge tortilla-like wrap, they are one of the VERY BEST THINGS I have found on this low sodium diet.  And they sell a low sodium whole wheat version too.  Look for them in the bakery department, stocked on the shelves with the bread, typically on an inconspicuous lower shelf.  If you don’t see them, ASK.  I cannot stress how amazing these Garden City Lavash are – my kids even fight for them!  No Whole Foods nearby?  Trader Joe’s sells low sodium lavash wraps, also stocked on the shelves with the packaged bread.  Theirs are rectangular and have a drier, less tortilla-like consistency than the Garden City Lavash, but good in their own right.  While at Trader Joe’s yesterday, I picked up a jar of TJ’s No Salt Added Fire Roasted Tomato Salsa (one of those I wrote about a year ago); still the best commercial salt free salsa I’ve found.  If you don’t have a Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s nearby, I suggest making homemade salsa and substituting corn tortillas for the lavash.  Different, but still delicious!

Yields 4 servings.

SODIUM CONTENT:  86 mg per serving

Filling:
1 T. vegetable oil
3 sm/med sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 3 c.)
1 small onion, peeled and diced (about 1/2 c.)
2/3 c. fruit juice (I like apple or mango)
1- 15 oz. can no salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
1 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. no salt added chili powder
freshly ground black pepper to taste

1 pkg. Garden City All-Natural Lavash Roll Ups (sold at Whole Foods markets) or corn tortillas
1/4 c. no salt added salsa
1/4 c. sour cream
1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro

Heat the vegetable oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the diced sweet potato and onion and cook, stirring, until tender, roughly 20 minutes. While cooking, add about 1/2 cup of the fruit juice, a tablespoon or two at a time, to prevent the mixture from sticking. Lower the heat to medium-low if the pan seems like it’s getting too hot (and if so, simply extend the cooking time slightly).

Once the sweet potato is tender, add the black beans, seasonings and the remaining fruit juice. Cook, stirring, until beans are heated through, about 5 minutes.

Remove pan from heat and assemble the burritos. Lay a lavash wrap down flat, top with a quarter of the sweet potato-black bean mixture. Garnish with 1 quarter of the salsa, sour cream and cilantro.

Fold ends towards the center, the roll from the other side up into a cylinder. Slice burrito in half using a sharp knife. Repeat process with remaining ingredients. Serve immediately.

This entry was posted in Main Dishes, Vegetarian and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burritos

Nom nom nom indeed. John came home for lunch – ALL GONE. ;)

2. I’ve purchased lavash before, but it was big, dry, pita-like stuff. And it was okaaaaay . . . but only because I knew it was healthy. This kind of lavash looks wonderful, though. And makes me wish I still had that quesadilla maker my sister bought me back in college as a joke.

Yeah I know what you’re talking about. I’d say the TJs kind is more like that. Pretty dry. Not bad, but not my preference. I like super soft flour tortillas. The garden city lavash are AMAZING. They’re even bigger than the normal “large” size tortillas you can buy at the supermarket, they’re pliable and taste so good. I swear I always check the packaging three times, I just can’t believe something so “healthy” can be so appealing! LOL

PS: I used to have this grill type “sandwich maker” when I was a kid. It would make decorative (wielded shut) hot pocket sandwiches. I LOVED that thing. I don’t know what my folks ever did with it — probably tossed it — but it made the best PB&J EVER! All melty and goopy and delicious. I bet I’d like a quesadilla maker too. Just what you & Kamran need for his pseudo kitchen!

4. john says:

Man, I was so disappointed that we didn’t have more of these for lunch. Or dinner.

Can we make some for breakfast?

Seriously, they were delicious and I look forward to having them again!

Hah!! Love it – and the answer in one word: YES.

XO

6. i bet the lavash would be good stuffed with scrambled eggs, cheese, bacon, and other noms. oh, wait. i don’t like scrambled eggs. mwa hahahah. your burrito looks yummy and i’m waiting for my invite to dinner. :)

You have a standing invite, girl – you know that! I’ve seated you at the “kid’s table” with the (plain, no seeds) dinner rolls, butter, unadorned veggies and sauceless pasta. PS: Georgia says pass the butter.

8. Kate says:

Your creativity encouraged me to make Sweet Potato Hash. I heard of the title from a local newswoman reporting on the citywide breakfast contest among professional chefs, held nearby. Never having seen or tasted that chef’s hash, I made my own. I sauteed a med-lrg chopped yellow onion in a little olive oil; added 2 lrg, peeled & cubed raw sweet potato & 1/2 (14.5 oz) can of low-sodium chicken broth; let cook down, on med heat,covered, for 15 mins. I added 2 cans corned beef, cubed, to mixture along with the rest of broth; covered to continue on med heat for 10 mins. Removed cover to add salt to taste, lots of fresh ground black pepper, 1 cardamon seed, allspice, & freshly grated lemon peel to taste. Let simmer to let broth soak up & flavors to meld. Delicious! The house smells wonderful. Kate

9. I love burritos… except I always wind up with more on my shirt than in my mouth. It’s an operator issue. I’m working on it. :)

Kate, I love it – sounds so good! SO glad to inspire!

Inky – don’t cut these then. Try wrapping them up in a piece of waxed paper and just dig in. And don’t forget to leeeeeeeeaaan over the table! :)

11. Pingback: The Daily Dish » Blog Archive » Beans, Beans, the musical fruit!

12. tona says:

made these but cheated/was lazy on the “stir for 20 minutes” by adding 1/2 water at the beginning, covering the pan, and steaming the sweet potatoes, checking after 10 minutes, adding another cup of water and steaming, and then adding fruit juice for flavor. Turned out to be great, even though we had no cilantro and sour cream. We have some leftovers so going on a garnish hunt soon!!

OOOooh SO clever Tona!! Love it. You know I am all about short cuts! Maybe you can get some sour cream and fixings and try them all slathered up (my preferred method of consumption!!)

XOXO

14. Mary says:

An excellent recipe! We used lavash bread and it was perfect for the wrap (can be found at
    Trader Joes)

Wonderful Mary!! So glad you enjoyed it! I’ve seen (and purchased) the lavash at TJs too, but I am wedded to the Garden City brand. (be still my heart – lol)

16. TBird says:

what’s a vegan sustitute for sour cream?

17. Pingback: Local Menu Plan – Southern Ontario | The Local Kitchener

18. Romero E Lawrence says:

You absolutely saved my diet with the suggest of the Lavash Roll-Ups!…I use those and a low sodium fresh mozzarella to make a (quick) thin crush pizza that is now a staple of my diet. The versatility of this product has made my life literally better!! Thank you thank you thank you.

19. Christina says:

Made these last night, very tasty! I found gluten free corn tortillas at our local grocer too! Having leftovers tonight! xoxo