Low Sodium Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette

A week before Christmas, I was at my local grocery store when I came upon a small sack of Meyer Lemons.  In my (almost) three years here in Portland, this was the first time I’d seen Meyer Lemons, let alone held one in my hand. I was so incredibly excited I started squealing, right there in the produce aisle! If you’ve never had a Meyer Lemon before, you don’t know what you’re missing. To lemon-lovers they are perfection. And for someone on a low-sodium diet, Meyer Lemons are GOLD.

Meyer Lemon season runs now through April. Until they’re gone, I’ll be savoring their tart sweetness every chance I get, daily if possible, and especially in this vinaigrette.  This dressing is just so good, and so incredibly low in sodium, you may want to skip the salad and simply lick your bowl.  My husband and I pour extra onto our plates when the greens are gone, and sop up the vinaigrette with bread or our fingers. I’m serious when I say it’s one of the best recipes EVER.

NOTE: If fat & calories are a concern, reduce the amount of oil in the recipe. Start with 1/2 cup and work from there, adding additional oil if desired. (With 1/2 cup oil, there are 100 calories per 2 T. serving and 9 g fat.)

Adapted from Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette at dudafresh.com.

Yields 1 1/2 cups dressing; twelve (2 Tablespoon) servings.

SODIUM CONTENT: 1 mg per 2 T. serving

1/2 c. fresh Meyer Lemon juice (about 2 1/2 Meyer lemons)
2 T. red wine vinegar
2 garlic cloves
1 T. Westbrae no-salt-added stoneground mustard (or equivalent)
1 T. dried Italian seasoning
2 T. honey
1 T. sugar
1 c. olive or vegetable oil

Combine all ingredients EXCEPT OIL in a food processor.

Pulse until garlic is minced and everything is combined.

On slow speed, add a thin stream of olive oil to the mixture. Continue blending until all oil has been added and dressing has emulsified.

Serve immediately.

Refrigerate leftover dressing in an airtight container.

This entry was posted in Salads and Dressings and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Low Sodium Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette

1. Kelly says:

Looks awesome. I’m going to make it this weekend!

2. I’m a little embarrassed to admit I would never have known!
    I guess I’d always thought a lemon was a lemon was a lemon…

3. What a delightful vinaigrette! I do enjoy meyer lemons :)

I love meyer lemons too. This sounds like a really good dressing. I’m going shopping today, so I’ll keep an eye out for them.

5. Meyer lemons are such a THING at all the fancy-pants restaurants we go to. It’s not just a lemon; it’s a MEYER lemon. It’s not just an orange; it’s a BLOOD orange. It’s not just truffle; it’s WHITE truffle, and it’s a $600 supplement.

That said, I love these little babies. I’ve been thinking about needing to make my own dressing, too, so I just have to find the fake-sugar equivalent to your sugar and honey, and I’ll be set.

6. Sandi says:

Yes, G O L D!! Squeal worthy, for sure :)

I have to go shopping today and am S-O-O-O hopeful they’ll have some of these lil babies waiting for me! Wish me luck!

8. How long do you think it will keep? I don’t use dressings often but this looks delicious. Maybe I could use it to bake things like fish and chicken too? Yum!
    ~Ang

Ang, I think it would be a fantastic marinade for fish, chicken or even veggies. I store it in the fridge in a lidded jar (makes shaking & pouring so easy!) and it keeps well for a week.

10. oh yum this looks good! I love how you put it in a mason jar!

Thanks so much, Molly! Seriously, mason jars are perfect for homemade dressing – shake, pour & store – easy breezy! :)

12. Leah says:

I made this today for our Easter salad and it was FANTASTIC!! Everyone enjoyed it and there was no discussion about the sodium content. I’m finding travel and holiday meals especially difficult to navigate these days. Bought ham for the family because that has always been our tradition, but then found myself feeling so resentful inside that I couldn’t have any. Anyway…so thankful for your website.

Happy Easter, Leah! Sounds like you had a great meal, apart from the slight (and understandable) resentment. We also bought a ham, as well as a small chicken. My husband and younger daughter adore ham, and there’s no reason they should feel and be deprived on a holiday. Not that we should be, but…. I try to keep reminding myself it’s so much better than the alternative. Ham may be tasty, but I’d rather be well. :) SO glad the dressing was a hit all around. Thanks so much for sharing – makes me so happy!