Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

A classic cookie everyone will love.
Yields 4 dozen.

1 egg
1 1/2 t. Ener-G sodium-free baking soda
2/3 c. all-purpose flour
2 1/2 c. rolled oats
1 1/2 c. seedless raisins

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter with sugars, vanilla and cinnamon. Add milk and egg and beat well. Stir in the baking soda. Gradually add in the flour and oats, mixing well and scraping the sides of the bowl to incorporate. Last, stir in the raisins.

Drop the dough by teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet. Place sheet on middle rack in oven and bake 13 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool. Allow cookies to cool about 10 minutes before storing in an airtight container.

This entry was posted in Cookies, Dessert. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

1. Elena says:

since I do not have the sodium free baking soda, will the featherweight baking powder work?? Please advise before I make em.

2. christy says:

Elena, try using a tablespoon of featherweight baking powder instead. Good luck!

3. Ann Templeton Monin says:

How does sodium-free baking soda compare to regular baking soda? Does it hold up in comparison to regular baking soda for standard cookie recipes and such? Where can I purchase sodium-free baking soda? Thanks.

Hi Ann. Ener-G baking soda can be purchased online at healthyheartmarket.com. It’s much weaker than standard baking soda, so you’ll need to use twice as much to achieve a similar rise. Also to note, baked goods made with Ener-G SF baking soda are often denser than those made w/ “regular” baking soda. I’ve gotten to the point where I rarely use Ener-G. I prefer Featherweight sodium-free baking powder, which yields a lighter, fluffier result. It’s something you may want to try for yourself and play with. Hope this helps.

4. Ann Templeton Monin says:

Can you describe featherweight baking powder and how it compares to regular double acting baking powder? What is the sodium content of featherweight baking powder? Also, I just learned that you can substitute baking powder with a certain portion of cream of tarter and a small amount of baking soda. I’m not convinced that such a substitution would lower the overall salt content given that regular double acting baking powder has a much lower sodium content then baking soda. Thanks.

5. Catherine says:

How do u know how much bsking.powder to substitute for the called for baking soda. I do not like the outcome with the sodium free baking soda. Baked good are hard as a rock.

6. Amy says:

Just made the cookies and they are delicious! I used Rumford reduced sodium baking powder they turned out fine it has 35mg per 1/8 t. It is double acting and gluten free as well.

Thanks for the info. Amy! Did you use an equal amount of the baking powder (1 1/2 teaspoon)? Catherine (comment above) is wondering about the switch and I haven’t tried swapping the two myself.

Thanks and best wishes,