Super Yummy Meatless Meatloaf (Low Sodium & Vegan, too!)

One of my new year’s resolutions is to reduce the amount of meat my family & I are consuming. To further this goal I’ve committed to Meatless Monday for the duration of 2012. I hope you’ll join me!

Today you’re in for a TREAT. This is one of my favorite meat-free main courses; certain to please die-hard meat eaters and vegetarians alike. The premise is simple. Boil three potatoes and mash, along with a can of salt-free kidney beans. Add some sauteed onion, garlic and bell pepper. Season with tangy ketchup, BBQ sauce and mustard (all salt-free of course), stir in oats for heft, then pop in the oven and bake. Before it’s done, top with extra sauce and a sprinkling of cheese. The result is gooey, moist, melt-in-your-mouth comfort food. Pure deliciousness with absolutely no guilt!

The basic recipe makes for easy adaptation. Try salt-free salsa instead ketchup or BBQ sauce, add different vegetables and herbs (like corn, jalapenos and fresh cilantro), or just use what you have on hand. If you can’t find salt-free condiments locally, order online from Healthy Heart Market.

Adapted from The Complete Cooking Light Cookbook.

Serves 6.

SODIUM CONTENT: 69 mg per serving

INGREDIENTS

3 medium potatoes (Yukon Gold work wonderfully here)
1- 15-oz. can no-salt-added kidney beans
2 t. olive oil
1 1/2 c. chopped bell pepper
1 c. chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 t. ground cumin
1 t. no-salt-added chili seasoning
1 1/2 c. old-fashioned or quick oats
1/2 c. no-salt-added barbeque sauce, divided
1/4 c. no-salt-added ketchup
2 1/2 t. Westbrae no-salt-added stoneground mustard (or equivalent)
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 c. shredded Swiss cheese (or for vegans, your choice of non-dairy cheese)

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Get out an 8 or 9-inch square pan, spray lightly with oil and set aside.

Scrub the potatoes well, cut into cubes and place in a 3-quart saucepan. Add enough water to cover, then bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat slightly and cook until tender, roughly 15 minutes. Once cooked, drain and mash the potatoes. Set aside.

Open the kidney beans, drain and rinse well. Mash the beans using the tines of a fork and set aside.

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium. Add the bell pepper, onion, garlic, cumin & chili seasoning and cook, stirring, 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in the mashed potatoes and beans, oats, HALF of the barbeque sauce (reserve the remaining 1/4 cup), ketchup, mustard and black pepper to taste.

Spoon mixture into prepared pan and smooth top to even.

Place on middle rack in oven and bake 30 minutes.

Remove from oven. Spread remaining barbeque sauce over top and sprinkle with shredded cheese.

Return to oven and bake 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

This entry was posted in Main Dishes, Meatless Monday, Vegan or Vegan Adaptable, Vegetarian and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Super Yummy Meatless Meatloaf (Low Sodium & Vegan, too!)

1. I wasn’t hungry BEFORE I clicked over here, but man…
    this one is calling to me, Dishy!
    Looks incredible!

Thanks Inky! It really is so good and so easy, last week I made it twice!

3. Betsey Dunn says:

Christy,
    Thanks for the tip on the sodium free mustard! What brand of BBQ sauce did you use? And, where do you find shredded Swiss cheese?
    Your site is awesome! I have been here before many times. I am THRILLED that you are attempting to limit meat. We just watched Forks Over Knives and are on the same path as you are!
    Betsey

4. cherylK says:

Am visiting my daughter in Kansas and I’m going to try to talk her into letting me make this! I’ll be she’ll love it. In any case, I’ll be making it when I get back home to Minnesota. Mmmm, good!

I also love the idea of Meatless Monday so I think I’ll give that a go, too.

Hi Betsey!

So glad you’re enjoying the site!

I have used Lum Taylor’s BBQ sauce in the past but found an even lower-sodium alternative when we moved to Portland. A local supermarket chain, Hannaford, sells “Taste of Inspirations” Honey Bourbon Grill Sauce – it’s sodium FREE and delicious!! Been meaning to post about it!

Cheryl – so happy to have you on board! Enjoy the meat(less)loaf! :)

7. My jaw dropped the moment I saw the first pic of this post. This dish looks absolutely irresistible. Thanks for sharing

You’re so welcome! Hope you enjoy it!

9. Jennifer says:

yay for meatless mondays! i’d never considered making a meatless meatloaf…looks delicious and definitely going on my to-do list. thanks!

10. You lost me at “meatless”. And then “potatoes”. But DANGIT, that looks good. Those crispy edges in the pan? Maaaaaan.

11. Lori says:

I have a question: when you say “oats” do you mean steel cut oats or do you mean oatmeal? I made this tonight and we loved the flavor, but I used steel cut oats and they remained hard and chewy. Any advice?

Dang! So sorry Lori, I used quick oats successfully and hadn’t thought to specify. Duh.

My apologies; I’ve corrected that in the ingredients list now!

13. Lori says:

Thank you Christy! loved the flavor, can’t wait to try it with the quick oats. My husband has CHF for 14 years, sodium has proven to be his enemy, so I am always on the lookout for a new meal idea and this one is a keeper!

14. This looks amazing! I think this will be my first recipe that I’ll go for!
    ~Ang

Let me know how you like it, Ang – and good luck! So glad to have you going meatless w/ us. :)

16. Marie says:

Made this on Saturday and my family loved it! The flavor is fabulous. I did use regular, not quick oats, and they worked out perfectly!
    Thanks for the yummy recipe.

Wonderful to hear, Marie!! So happy you all enjoyed it – thanks so much for letting me know. :)

18. Miriam says:

I was just put on a low sodium diet by my doctor for inner ear issues, and I have been sticking it out, but not liking it. I just found your site yesterday and I made this dish last night. I’m eating leftovers right now, and just HAD to thank you. Thank you so much for making this site, and for being creative and wonderful. This dish is delicious. It needs no salt! Just terrific. I’ll be trying many more of your recipes I’m sure, but you should know that you have a new fan!