Happy Herbivore’s Fat Free Cornbread

My goal on The Daily Dish is to make healthy, low sodium food taste GREAT.  But equally important is sharing recipes that are easily replicated at home.  As a wife, mother and chronic sufferer of Meniere’s Disease, I have little patience, time & money for complicated and expensive creations.  Simple dishes are KEY to staying on track with a salt-free diet.  And I aim to put as few barriers as possible between myself, my readers and their health.

A week ago, I posted a fabulous recipe for the simplest of dishes, a “faux” quiche that substitutes extra firm tofu for eggs, to amazing results.  That recipe came courtesy of a new acquaintance, The Happy Herbivore, known to friends and family as Lindsay.  She and I share a love of simplicity and accessibility when it comes to cooking, and like us, she understands the difficulty of maintaining a “special diet” – though hers is vegan.  Friends, today I have a VERY special treat to share!  Because Lindsay has most generously allowed me to post her recipe for FAT FREE Cornbread – to be published in her upcoming (still unnamed) second cookbook.  Lindsay’s first cookbook, The Happy Herbivore (released in February 2011) has already completely sold out on Amazon.com and is in back order for a second printing.  It truly is THAT GOOD!

Lindsay’s recipe for fat free cornbread couldn’t be more straight forward.  Just a handful of ingredients, one mixing bowl, a whisk, pan and oven are all that you need.  This recipe contains no eggs, no dairy, and no oil.  If you’re scratching your head wondering whether a tasty cornbread is possible without any of the above, let me reassure you.  YES.  And because of the omission of salt and eggs, this cornbread has just under 9 mg sodium per serving.  Truly spectacular!  But as good as the health benefit is its taste.  This cornbread is hefty, with a remarkable crumb.  Its subtle sweetness is derived from a smidgen of sugar and pure maple syrup — the star of yesterday’s show.  I prefer vanilla soy milk, but you could readily use any non-dairy “milk” beverage, whether rice or almond, plain or not.  I actually made two batches of this yesterday and both are almost gone!

Thanks so much, Lindsay, for sharing!!  Wishing The Happy Herbivore much well-deserved success!!

Yields 16 servings.

SODIUM CONTENT: 9 mg per serving

1 c. cornmeal
1 c. flour
2 T. sugar
1 T. Featherweight sodium free baking powder
1 c. vanilla soy milk
1/4 c. applesauce
1/4 c. pure maple syrup

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly oil a 9-inch square baking pan and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar and baking powder. Add the soy milk, applesauce and maple syrup and whisk to combine. Pour batter into the prepared pan. Place pan on middle rack in oven and bake 20 minutes. Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool. Cool briefly before cutting into squares and serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.

This entry was posted in Bread and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Happy Herbivore’s Fat Free Cornbread

1. this cornbread is actually in my first cookbook—but I added two variations to in in the new (still unnamed) book… this cornbread is one of my fave recipes. Thanks for blogging about it!!

• Share says:

I made this cornbread last night and followed the recipe, but mine turned out flat and heavy . . . nothing like the picture! It did taste good, but it was not pretty! I used whole wheat flour (no baking soda) and yellow corn meal. Suggestions?

My pleasure!! And thanks for the note; cornbread in books #1 AND 2! Can’t wait to get my hands on them BOTH!! So many wonderful recipes to try.. WOOHOO! :)

3. I LOVE cornbread!
    While I’m off track… have I commented on how amazing your photographs are?! I know everything you post here must taste wonderful, but it also LOOKS that way… which is no small feat!
    AND while I’m still off topic… I usually get whisks taken away from me. I tend to play with (and eventually break) such things. It’s a problem. I’m worse than Letterman when he has a chef on. :)

Inky – you are far too kind. Thanks! I think it’s easier to take pictures of things you love – hence my predilection for photographing food & my family. Also, our home, pets, and trees. And the sky. I like that too. And … hahah — I just like taking photos, I guess. But I like eating even more!

5. What a weird recipe! Looks delicious, though, especially thanks to your fiiiiine picture-takin’ skills. And I really need that with the kale/chicken thigh/lentils skillet thing I’m making tomorrow night. You’ve finally inspired me to cook!

YAY!!! I know this recipe might seem suspect – no oil or eggs or FUN (hah) but it really is tasty and so low in sodium – not to mention FAT FREE, why you can eat the whole tray and still not feel guilty! LOL

Hope your meal is AMAZING!! :D

7. Pingback: Cornbread….more like pancake bread « organically nerdy

8. Ha'dassah says:

I would like to make this cornbread, but I need to know what type of cornmeal and flour should I use ? and if pure maple syrup is unavailble will pure honey or molasses work as a sub ?

Hi Ha’dassah,

I used all-purpose flour and standard medium cornmeal. I think honey could be used (molasses would be too dark) but it might affect the rise.

Best of luck to you!

10. Elly says:

I use gluten free oatmeal that I make into flour in my food processor. Great recipe and the family will enjoy it again tonight with Happy Herbivore type chili. Thank you, Lindsay.

11. Robin says:

LOVED this recipe. I made it with chili and it was a BIG hit. I too ground up some gluten free oats for the flour. I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk in place of the soymilk and I left out the 2 T of sugar. AWESOME recipe. Love the Happy herbivore!

12. Karen says:

I have not found any soy milk that is fat free. What brand do you use?

13. Gabi says:

Hello, this recipe sounds really good especially since I am always looking for low fat/fat free recipes. One question though, do I use sugarfree applesauce in this? Thank you.

14. Amanda says:

Hi Christy!

I made this cornbread a few weeks ago and my boyfriend and I LOVED it. So, thanks!

I’m wondering what you think about using the recipe for muffins and maybe adding blackberries, blueberries or raspberries to the batter? I thought it might work, plus make the batter even more moist…and the sweetness of the berries sounds good against the not-too-sweetness of the cornbread, yeah? Your thoughts?

Hi Amanda! So glad you enjoyed the cornbread! I think adding berries would be a wonderful idea, both for moisture and sweetness. Please let me know if it try it with success (or not!) ;)

15. Pingback: Low Sodium Thanksgiving Recipe Roundup |

16. Amy LaPierre says:

Thank you! Thank you! For posting this recipe! It is in my favorite cookbook, Lindsay’s first cookbook, which is among the missing right when I need it most. (I will find it when I clean up after Thanksgriving.) I use this cornbread, along with whole wheat bread, to make the best vegan dressing, a.k.a. Stuffing. This is the easiest and best cornbread ever. Thank you again! Back to cooking……..
    Amy in NH

17. Faye Weissbaum says:

I just made these. I read some of the comments and adapted. I used gf oat flour (oats ground in my Vitamix), organic Arrowhead Mills cornmeal (it’s a finely ground cornmeal), and added 1 t. of vanilla because I used original almond milk, not vanilla. I made muffins and took them out after 15 min. Next time I may decrease the time. They weren’t burned, just well done. Love this recipe and can’t wait to make them again!!

18. Kristen Muzzy says:

This was excellent! I used a ripe banana instead of applesauce just to use it up. The consistency & taste was fantastic with rice & beans! The kiddo had with a little smear of vegan butter & honey.

19. Melissa Ridgley says:

I haven’t tried this recipe yet but I am going to asap! Im really excited about it.. my only question is does anyone know what I can use to replace oil entirely? Even for just the pan.. is there anything else I can use besides oils and butter to make a pan non-stick?

Hi Melissa,

One thing you could try is simply parchment paper – line the pan with it, maybe even try greasing the pan, then sticking the parchment to it, so it’ll stay in place. Good luck to you!

20. Just made this for the first time. I won’t be the last! Delicious! Doubled the recipe and made it in my huge cast iron skillet. Served it with a vegan chili – that I made up. Hubby just said it was one of the best meals he has ever had.

21. Pingback: Vegetable Cornbread

22. Shari says:

I made this recipe as muffins and they were perfect! I made 9 muffins and wassurprised by how much they rose. They are delicious!

23. Pingback: Cornbread and Chili |

24. Karin says:

I made this as directed but added frozen sweet corn kernels. I’m happy I added those, because without them it would have been very dense and bland. I will try making this again, keeping the corn and probably adding even more, and then upping the corn meal and minimizing the flour. Not sure what happened, but it was a little disappointing.

Hi Karin, Great idea to add the corn. Sorry you weren’t thrilled w the recipe as written by Lindsay. Hopefully with a little tweaking you can make it your own – and one you’ll really enjoy. :)