Pringles Lightly Salted Potato Crisps

These golden arcs are not the latest installation at MOMA.

They are a vision, but they are not a dream.

Life for snack-loving low sodium dieters just got better.

I’ve spent the past three days sick as a dog with very little appetite. Last night my husband asked if there was anything he could get for me. I weakly answered, “Orange juice, please.” We were out of orange juice (of course), but in his infinite kindness he offered to run to the store for me. My husband returned with two cartons of OJ and a very special treat.  Lightly Salted Pringles.

It’s been seven years this month since I was diagnosed with Meniere’s disease and put on a low sodium diet.  SEVEN YEARS of saying no to salty snack food when all I wanted to do was say yes.

When my husband handed me those Lightly Salted Pringles above, I nearly cried.  Not only because they’re delicious, but because they’re proof that BIG TIME MANUFACTURERS ARE LISTENING TO US!!!!

Just 75 milligrams of sodium per serving.  And that’s not 2 or 3 chips, but a regular serving of 16!

I checked the Pringles website first thing this morning looking for more information on their Lightly Salted crisps, but wasn’t able to find anything.  Is Portland, Maine a test market?  Did they send them JUST FOR MEEEE???!!!  I’ve written to ask for more information and will let you know as soon as I hear anything.  Until then, please visit local stores or contact Pringles directly for availability in your area.

This entry was posted in Low sodium products and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Pringles Lightly Salted Potato Crisps

1. Amber says:

Isn’t it funny that we get giddy over things like potato chips? But it’s great knowing that companies are doing these things. I’ll look for them here in Central Arkansas.

2. Wow! That is great news about the Pringles, Christy! But I’m so sorry to hear you’ve been so sick–hope you’re on the mend now? Cindy

3. Brittany says:

We have them in Arkansas, although they can be hard to find. The are great for us low sodium eaters. I personally struggle with staying away from junk food. My husband and friends get to eat chips by the bags and it’s nice to not feel so bad about getting chips!

4. Elena says:

Oh what a thrill!! I used to LOVE pringles and sadly gave up on most chips but now you mention this, I m tempted to find out where I can find them! Thanks for the good news on this!

5. Tammy says:

This is great! Not just for you but everyone should eat less sodium. I always choose no salt or low sodium foods when I can. I even rarely use salt when I cook.

Sorry you have been sick. I can’t think of anything that OJ isn’t good for. I love OJ! Sadly, I had to reduce my acid consumption – OJ, tomatoes, fruit. My teeth enamel are paying for it!

Christy, I’ve seen them at my local grocery stores too. Along with Lay’s lightly salt potato chips and lightly salted Fritos. Like the Pringles, the salt content has been reduced by 50%. You’re right, this is great news that some major manufacturers are finally providing lower sodium products. I’ve eaten both the Lay’s potato chips and Fritos. To tell the truth, they’ve got the perfect amount of salt — just enough to add a bit of flavor. The regular versions are way too salty. So much so, that my mouth would start hurting after a few bites. I’m going to have to try the Pringles now.

Hope you start feeling better soon.

7. Desi says:

I am so thankful I found your website. I am a relatively young woman who was also diagnosed with Meneiere’s disease 7 years ago, and it has been a verrrrrry long and difficult road. Since it started in my left ear (now 60% gone) I was diagnosed with it in my right ear (devastating). So I am now on a 300-500mgs per day sodium, as of 4 months ago. In earnest I am frantically looking for new places to shop online for low to no sodium foods; as we are located in rural Ky. Your blog was just what I needed as a picker upper. Thank you!!
    Desi

8. That’s great! I’m not sure if they have these around STL or not (I haven’t seen them yet, but then again, I’ve been TRYING to avoid… ‘that isle’… which isn’t easy for me)!

Thanks everyone for the great comments! It’s the little things like this that really perk up your day. Low sodium chips and comments! Oh, and OJ. :D

10. Honey Lindgren says:

I’m not sure where in the country you live but, snack foods are the one thing I’ve found pretty easily. Several different brands, including Kettle Chips, offer unsalted versions. And, most recently, Terra Chips just brought out two different flavors that are unsalted; Lemon Pepper and Barbeque! Yes, barbeque chips that are unsalted. And they are amazing!! Check out Healthy Heart Market on-line to order.

Now, if someone could find some low sodium cheddar cheese, that would being tears to my eyes!

Hope you’re feeling better.

Hey Honey – I live in Maine and have found no-salt-added Utz chips (plain & BBQ) here. I used to buy the flavored Terra chips back in Philly and they were SO GOOD. Thanks for the heads-up about Healthy Heart Market!

As for the cheddar cheese, YES PLEASE. And thanks so much for the kind wishes. Feeling almost human today! lol

Just received a response from Pringles. Perhaps chips aren’t the only thing they send out canned?

********************************************************
    Hi Christy,

Thanks for contacting Pringles.

The Pringle Lightly Salted is available to wholesalers and retailers nationally. We strongly recommend checking with the managers of your local grocers, drug stores, and other large chain retailers. We’ve found many of our consumers have had positive results from speaking with store management and insisting they order their favorite products. Stores make their buying decisions largely based on consumer demand, so letting them know what you want can influence them to carry the product.

Also, some of our product websites have store locators; if this tool is available, just enter your zip code and the locator will find a store near you that may have the product you’re looking for. Keep in mind, you should always call the store before you shop because the store locator information is not a guarantee you’ll find the product on the shelf when you arrive.

Although it seems like we should be able to tell you where you can find this product in your area, it’s not that simple. Typically, we sell our products to either very large chain stores or to large wholesalers. What this means is that we send our products to warehouses, and from there, the chain stores decide which of their individual stores will receive them. Or wholesalers sell the products they bought from us to smaller, individually-owned stores. As a result, we’re unable to give the names of individual stores that carry our products.

Finally, you may also find this product available via online retailers such as Yahooshopping.com or Google.com. A growing number of our products are also available to purchase by calling 1-800-249-9810. We realize online shopping is often more expensive because of shipping costs, but we like to recommend it in case there’s no other alternative.

Thanks again for contacting us.

Alestair D.
    Pringles Team

NOTE: There is no way to select Lightly Salted Pringles from the Pringles website to check for availability — as of today (9-28-11) the item it isn’t listed anywhere on the US site. Grrr.

14. Judi says:

Hi Christy,

Check out Hannafords, they have their own brand of unsalted potato chips.

Judi

Hey Judi – so nice to hear from you!! I just had some with lunch & they were DELICIOUS. Thanks!!

16. Judi says:

Hey Christy – I found the Pringles in Walgreens but so far not in any grocery store including Walmart. Who would have guessed?

Judi – SO glad you found them! And at Walgreens of all places? Go Walgreens!

Those cookies look spectacular!! Will def. have to try them. Thanks so much for sharing.

I’m already thinking about the next Daily Dish Holiday Bake-Off — CAN’T WAIT!

18. Tammy @ Pringles says:

Hi Christy,

If you can (pun intended) please, send me an email at pringles.im.3@pg.com. I’m the Community Manager for Pringles, and this kind of feedback helps us improve our services across the board.

I have a few questions I’d like to ask you. And, wow, really REALLY appreciate you letting us know the website’s not updated yet. Working on it!

Hope to hear from you, Tammy

19. Christy,

Just realized YOU are the same Christy who wrote the blog, and that I’ve emailed with! My bad!

It remains that we’re happy to hear the feedback – not only the great stuff, but also the things we can improve on.

Tammy

Thanks so much, Tammy; I’m glad you weren’t offended by my update. Lightly Salted Pringles are such a wonderful product, especially for people on a low-sodium diet. I’m simply eager to get the word out!

PS: EVERYONE! I rec’d word from P&G that they’re updating the website and Lightly Salted Pringles should be making their online debut soon. As for finding them at a store near you, sales will be moving nationwide through large retailers such as Walgreens and Walmart, so keep your eyes peeled!

22. Pingback: The Daily Dish » Blog Archive » Easy ways to reduce sodium in your diet.

23. Pingback: Salt-free, low-sodium and PATRIOTIC potato chips! » The Daily Dish

24. Dohun Lee says:

Can I ask you a question?
    What is differences between this and light blue can in Amazon?
    I want to buy this snack in S. Korea but impossible so I’m gonna buy by direct parcel.

Hi Dohun! It’s probably best to contact Pringles directly and ask. They tend to be very responsive to customer needs. Wishing you best of luck in your quest! Christy

25. ABDUL says:

I HOPE THEY REPLACE SALT WITH LEMON .

26. Paula Fox says:

Sorry, but truthfully the Pringles low sodium chips are the worst Chips I’ve ever eaten. Every chip leaves a greasy film in my mouth and they really are tasteless. I buy a low sodium chip from Aldi’s. The brand is Clancy’s. And they are 100 times better than Pringles.