Crispy Pork Medallions with Apple-Horseradish Sauce

Looking for a gourmet meal to make any time? Today’s APPLE WEEK recipe is table-ready in 20 minutes! Apples play a supporting role here, but what a part they play. The pork is prepared simply, panko-coated and pan-fried. It’s quick and absolutely stupendous, not to mention low in sodium. But the sauce is what makes this main course truly memorable. The flavors of apple and pork meld so fluidly, add the bite of sour cream and rev of horseradish and it’s OUT OF THIS WORLD.

When I made this yesterday, my younger daughter (and the dog, of course) hovered close by, just waiting for the green light to dig in.

Note the already full mouth of my child, begging for more. Needless to say, there weren’t any leftovers.

Adapted from Food Network Kitchens Favorite Recipes.

Yields 4 servings.

SODIUM CONTENT: 184 mg per serving

Sauce:
1 c. unsweetened natural applesauce
1/4 c. sour cream
3 T. prepared horseradish, excess vinegar squeezed out

Pork:
2 eggs
1 c. panko (Japanese coarse bread crumbs)
1 t. rubbed dried sage
1/2 t. dried thyme
freshly ground black pepper to taste
4- 1/2-inch-thick boneless pork loin medallions (about 1 lb.)
2 T. vegetable oil
1 T. unsalted butter

First prepare the sauce. Measure the applesauce, sour cream and horseradish into a small mixing bowl and stir well to combine. Set aside.

Beat the eggs in a shallow bowl.

Measure the panko into a second shallow bowl, add the rubbed sage and dried thyme, and mix to combine.

Lightly season the pork loin medallions with freshly ground black pepper to taste.

Dip each loin in the egg, then (using your other hand to keep bread crumbs from coating you too) gently press into the panko mixture, coating thoroughly.

Measure the oil and butter into a large skillet over medium heat. Once the butter has melted and stopped foaming, add the medallions to the pan. Cook until golden and crispy on the bottom, about 4 minutes, then flip and repeat on second side, about 3 minutes more. Be careful not to overcook the pork; it turns tough as boots fast.

Remove pork from pan and serve immediately, garnished with a generous amount of sauce.

This entry was posted in Main Dishes and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Crispy Pork Medallions with Apple-Horseradish Sauce

1. cherylK says:

We love pork and this looks awesome!

2. Oh my. I feel like your daughter, but I’m hovering over my computer, wondering when I’m going to make this! Love it!

3. Tell the truth: did Roxy get some or not?

Like a true German, I loooooove my fried, breaded meats. This makes me feel the need to find the schnitzel truck for lunch ASAP.

4. Sandi says:

Your daughter is such a cutie! And your dog of course too..he has that ‘ready to pounce’ look.

Applesauce?..great idea! I made panko encrusted chicken last night, it is amazing stuff, hence your delectable pork medallion dish :)

I absolutely love the combo of sour cream and horseradish. The addition of applesauce must add a subtle sweetness. Sounds like a great sauce! And I bet it would be good with all kinds of other things, including baked potatoes.

6. Kelly says:

I made these last night. I had a pork tenderloin out for dinner but wasn’t loving what I was going to make with it so when this popped in to my in-box I was very excited. It is a keeper. Delish!!

Cheryl, hope you make it – and soon!

Sam, I bet your family will love this. The kids can omit the sauce if desired and still enjoy the pork. My eldest skipped the sauce (picky eater) but my younger daughter LOVED the combination!

Katie: Roxy got 1 bite. That’s all we could spare! Hope you got your schnitzel fix yesterday!

Thanks so much Sandi – I will tell Georgia & Roxy you said so. LOL Panko works so perfectly here and it’s so low in sodium. Win-Win! :)

Shamo, you’re so smart! I will have to try this on baked potatoes, and I bet it’d be AMAZING on latkes!

Kelly, you have made my day!!!!! SO happy to hear you loved it too!

8. Deb Raftery says:

Made this recipe this past weekend. So easy and so delicious. Thanks so much.

You’re so welcome, Deb! And thank you so much for telling me – wonderful to hear!

10. Elena says:

I have no sodium matzo meal crumbs instead of panko, will this work using the ingredients above? If you have other recipes to make crusted pork chops using the matzo meal, would love to hear about it!

Hi Elena, sorry to get this so late! Matzo meal should work fine too. The crust will be different, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing, right? Some of the best recipes come out of experimentation. Hope you enjoyed them!