Dick Logue’s Low-Sodium Pumpkin Bread

Dick Logue has done it again. The genius behind Low Sodium Cooking has made me HAPPY to be living salt-free!!

I used to bake pumpkin bread all the time. Moist, delicious, simply perfection in a quick bread, people would gobble it up and beg for more. Enter Meniere’s Disease. My tried-and-true recipe for pumpkin bread calls for standard (read: high in sodium) baking soda. I’ve tried tweaking it countless times, substituting either Ener-G sodium-free baking sodaFeatherweight sodium-free baking powder or BOTH. But I’ve never been able to get the ratio right.  Here’s my last attempt (with fresh cranberries):

Whereas my “old” pumpkin bread used to rise like the clouds, these loaves were like sinkholes.  No one wanted to eat it, not even the chickens!

A month ago I put the call out on Facebook, asking whether anyone had had success with low-sodium pumpkin bread.  Johanna of Low Sodium Blog responded right away, suggesting I try Dick Logue’s recipe. I clicked it and checked it out. It looked very similar to my tried-and-true recipe and I got excited.  I just needed more pumpkin.  THE VERY NEXT DAY (I kid you not) I came upon the sweetest deal ever at BJs. If you’re on The Daily Dish Facebook page, you likely saw the photograph, but for those who missed it:

3 jumbo cans of pumpkin for 99 CENTS!  It’s safe to say the “Great Pumpkin Shortage” of 2010 is over!  At least at my house!  I bought 4 cases and drove home GRINNING LIKE A MADWOMAN..

As soon as I got home, I whipped out my mixer and got baking!!  And oooooooohhhhhh the sweetness…….

Dick Logue has crafted a Low-Sodium Pumpkin Bread every bit as tasty as the one I used to enjoy.  Moist, with a crisp crust and the faint scent of cinnamon and ginger, this bread is the BOMB.  The recipe comes together in mere minutes, bakes up in an hour and a half, and will leave your whole house smelling like heaven.  Speaking of which, thank heavens for all this pumpkin.  I’ve got enough for 84 more loaves!!!

Yields 2 loaves; Serves 24.

SODIUM CONTENT: 13 mg per serving

INGREDIENTS

3 c. sugar
1 c. vegetable oil
4 eggs (or 1 c. egg substitute)
16 oz. (2 c.) pumpkin puree
3 1/2 c. flour
1 t. Featherweight sodium-free baking powder
4 t. Ener-G sodium-free baking soda
2 t. ground cinnamon
1 t. ground ginger
2/3 c. water

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Get out two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans.  Grease and flour pans, then set aside.

Measure the sugar and oil into a large mixing bowl and stir well to combine.  Add the eggs and pumpkin puree and stir.

In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, ground cinnamon and ginger.

Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture, a little at a time, alternating with the water.  Stir until well combined.

Pour batter into prepared pans, dividing evenly.  Place pans on middle rack in oven and bake 1 1/2 hours, until a tester inserted into the center of each loaf comes clean.  Remove pans from oven and place on wire rack.  Let stand for 10 minutes.  Remove bread from pans and place on wire rack to cool.

This entry was posted in Bread, Breakfast and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Dick Logue’s Low-Sodium Pumpkin Bread

1. Oh, man…
    this one had me at the very first photo, Dishy…
    (not that this an unusual thing, over here…)

2. Jenn A says:

I’m going to try this one soon!

Yay! Hope you enjoy it as much as we do! Happy baking! :D

4. That looks so good and so moist!

5. One of my very favourite foods! And I seem to only have it around Thanksgiving. Even the sunken cranberry ones look great to me!

6. Sandi says:

Like a madwoman is right!..haha, that picture of all the pumpkin in the trunk is priceless!

This recipe DOES like moist and yummy too :)

7. Johanna says:

Looks like success tastes sweet? Yeah!!! So glad that your pumpkin bread turned out beautifully :) Congrats!

Thanks everyone! I’m still one happy madwoman!

the chickens productivity + tons o’ pumpkin = a WHOLE lotta bread!

9. Sandi says:

Thanks for the kind words, I feel the same way about your blog! And you should start the 365 photo project, I am definitely learning from it :) Great weekend to you A U N T I E!!

Thanks so much, Sandi!!

11. Sue in CA says:

Hi, this looks great, yummy and tempting but I have some questions … I also try to cut sugars and can usually cut sugar in recipes in half without much noticeable difference, would this affect the outcome do you think? Also, we are now really big fans of chia seeds and I read that chia gel can be substituted for egg in baking recipes, wondering if I could add it to replace at least 2 of the eggs? Hmmmm gonna try it and will let you know.

Hubby had 5-by-pass surgery 2 months ago and always on the lookout for low sodium recipes. I’ve bookmarked your blog, love it.

Do you have some good low sodium recipes for bread machines too?

Hi Sue, I think cutting the sugar would be okay, though you might want to try reducing it by a third first and seeing how it goes. As for the chia gel, I’m not sure. I’ve never used it. When I need to go vegan I either omit or use bobs red mill egg replacement powder. I’ve had fine results with both, but havent tried either in this recipe. I know people also use ground flaxseed in lieu of eggs. If the chia gel doesn’t work perhaps the flaxseed would. Good luck with that. I’d love to hear how it works.

I don’t have any recipes for bread machine- I unfortunately don’t have one, but I know my friend Sue Tweeton has done extensive trials using one, so definitely check her blog.

Dick Logue also has some on his site as well as Don Gazzaniga.

So glad you found the site and are finding it helpful! Feel free to email or comment with questions any time.

• Laurie C says:

I made this recipe and used just 2 c. of sugar rather than 3 c. I also used 1.c of whole wheat flour. Tasted plenty sweet and still rose well.

12. I can only imagine the looks you might have gotten when checking out with 4 cases of giant cans of pumpkin… Either way, yum!!!
    ~Ang

I double-checked with the staff to make sure it wasn’t mislabeled. You should have seen the looks on the butchers’ faces when I found out it was legit. SO HAPPPPPPY!!!!!!

I loaded those 4 cases onto the bottom of my cart and would have gotten more had I the space. Rats. The woman at the door when I left said she’d gotten some too. Actually, several employees came over to congratulate me. It felt a bit like winning the pumpkin lottery!