Low Fat Low Sodium Crustless Vegan Quiche

Quite a mouthful of a title, huh?  After yesterday’s decadent chocolate cake I’m in dire need of some lighter fare. I’ve lost one pair of pants this week to a ripped seam and I’m thinking it’s more than mere coincidence. I found today’s recipe on a wonderful blog called Happy Herbivore. Such a great site! The name alone is sure to put a smile on your face, and now that Maddie’s gone pescetarian, it’s bound to be a fabulous resource of recipes the whole family can enjoy. We’ve had a pound of tofu in the fridge for several days. I almost always make it this way, but wanting to stay away from frying (remember those pants), decided to investigate something new. I am a BIG quiche fan and make my super easy low sodium version at least once or twice a month. But this recipe sounded so intriguing. Using tofu in lieu of eggs and taking advantage of the cheese-like flavor of nutritional yeast yields a “faux” quiche with the look, feel and taste of traditional, but without the fat and sodium! If you’ve never used nutritional yeast, it’s sold in many natural food stores and these days even some supermarkets.  I opted for chopped baby spinach in my vegan quiche, but you can use any fresh leafy greens, from kale or Swiss chard to collards and more.  This recipe invites experimentation, so see what’s on hand and get creative!

Yields 6 servings.

SODIUM CONTENT: 22 mg per serving

1- 15-oz. pkg. extra firm tofu (drained)
¼ c. nutritional yeast
¼ c. cornstarch
1½ T. Westbrae no salt added stone ground mustard
1 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. onion powder
½ t. turmeric
¼ t. red pepper flakes
4 c. fresh greens (any), chopped

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Oil a 9-inch pie dish and set aside. Combine all ingredients, except greens, in a food processor and pulse until smooth and creamy, stopping to break up chunks and scrape the sides as necessary.

Transfer the puree to a bowl, add the chopped greens and stir well to combine (mixture will be thick).  Spoon into the pie dish.  Using a spatula, spread the mixture so it’s even and tight.

Bake 30 to 40 minutes, until golden and the center is firm. Allow to cool at least 10 minutes before slicing (luke warm or room temperature is best for slicing).

This entry was posted in Breakfast, Main Dishes, Vegan or Vegan Adaptable, Vegetarian and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Low Fat Low Sodium Crustless Vegan Quiche

1. thx for featuring my recipe!

Thank YOU Lindsay! I just discovered your site today and am so excited. It’s wonderful!!

3. This looks light and airy in the awesomest sort of way… and anything that tastes cheese-like gets bonus points, too, I say! :)

Inky – as Lindsay states on her site, this recipe is so easy it almost seems wrong. It took me less than 5 minutes to put together, 35 minutes to bake, 10 to cool and cut. I made this quiche in less than an hour – start to finish – and was eating it too. I cannot say enough about how great it is. And given that the current Nor’Easter dumping snow on the Northeast has had me in a tailspin for days w/ the 3 Ds (deaf, dizzy and depressed) – finding a recipe so low in sodium was a godsend. Ahh snow – mother nature’s own April Fools trick.

5. Shambo says:

Christy, that does look good. I’ve made all tofu quiches before but always used the softer tofu. I’ve got some extra firm in the fridge right now, so maybe I’ll give it a try this weekend. I love quiche type dishes too, especially with spinach. I think it’s in my blood. Both my mom & grandma (and now me) made the best spanakopita. It was one of my favorite foods.

6. i’m a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to quiche. i love crust, heavy cream, cheese, and a token veggie–maybe sun dried tomatoes and asparagus or broccoli. :) despite the tofu and dearth of high caloric goodies, your faux quiche does LOOK tasty. xoox

There’s nothing yummier to me than real egg-rich quiche, but I think that’s what makes this recipe even more impressive. NO EGGS and so tasty. You’ll be amazed Nat!! XO

Shambo – hope you enjoy this too!! If you try it, let me know what you think. PS: PLEASE! share than spanakopita recipe!! A low sodium version is crying out to be made!! :)

9. Pingback: The Daily Dish » Blog Archive » Happy Herbivore’s Fat Free Cornbread

10. Sharon Uren says:

I tried the Tofu Quiche recipe but it turned out to be a total disaster. I almost cried. I think I was very heavy handed with the cornstarch and the yeast (I could only find the flakes). So I threw it out and cursed myself. I will try it again but need to ask – if I’m using yeast flakes, do I need to soak them in water and should I use less? I’ve never worked with yeast flakes before. Next time I will measure everything correctly too. It’s my own silly fault. I was drooling and waiting for it to cook so I could tuck into it. Next time !!!

P.S. Congratulations Christy on winning the grant.

Thanks so much Sharon!! — But SO sorry it didn’t work out!! Nothing worse than getting your hopes up, let alone your HUNGER, only to be disappointed!

I use Bragg Nutritional Yeast Seasoning exclusively. I know there are many others out there, but if you can locate this product I highly recommend it. I’ve never soaked yeast flakes before; I just sent an email to Lindsay (the Happy Herbivore) asking for her advice. Will keep you posted!

12. Sorry you had poor results Sharon — to much cornstarch could very easily ruin the recipe, and too much nutritional yeast could ruin it too. I exclusively use Red Star nutritional yeast (though I’ve had and liked the one Christy recommended)… but I’ve found some other brands (like Whole Foods brand) can be pretty gross.

I’ve never heard of soaking nutritional yeast flakes–in fact, mine would completely dissolve if I put them in water — so I’m wondering if maybe you picked up the wrong ingredient??

13. Sharon Uren says:

Thanks Christy and Lindsay. I live in Australia so will make a note of those names and see if I can find them. The one I used was Lotus – Savoury Yeast Flakes and I bought it at a Health Food Store – almost $13.00 for 200 gms.

Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate it. Will let you know how the next one turns out. Cross fingers (^_^).

Sharon, I want so much for this to work out the 2nd time around. It was so yummy!! Besides, there’s nothing more irritating than shelling out dearly for an ingredient only to have a flop. GRRRR!! Best of luck!